Thursday, December 31, 2009

When Hughie met Kristi

"You know, I have a theory that hieroglyphics are just an ancient comic strip about a character named Sphinxy." Harry Burns as played by Billy Crystal in When Harry met Sally (1989).

My wife and I have a yearly tradition. Every year, on December 31st, we take a half-drunk pilgrimage to our sofa and plop down to watch the movie "When Harry met Sally". A silly custom perhaps, and we have both seen it so frequently that we usually fall fast asleep in each other's arms - well normally she nestles her head gently into my shoulder.
Seems a bit redundant...
Not so much so as say waking up every morning at the exact same time, listening to Snap, Crackle and Pop - every morning, drinking your triple-shot, no foam, Kefir latte - every morning, driving the same route, seeing the same people day in and day out, witnessing the same crappy immobilizing headlines - everyday, wishing you had another one those ridiculously, long-named specialty coffee drinks that makes you feel like someone, when everyone in the same office is drinking the same damn thing, despite the fact that the apathetic barista has suggested that he would rather use that drink as an enema instead of a beverage...
We do not need to go out anymore. I have sewn my wild oats... I have a whole damn field of these fiber-rich experiences that should be harvested and burned. Japan. New York, Korea, West Virginia, California...
Everywhere that I have gone has been at some stupid point or other a personal conquest to philander, pillage and loot...
I am not proud.
My wife and I sit to watch this because we reflect on our past, and look to a future and we do it together. And the story, if you have never seen it is simple as Sally states it as they listen to "Auld Lang Syne" - "It's about old friends"
I'll take it a step further, and add experiences.
Life, folks, is not about getting from point A to point B, it is about the whole trip - those interruptions, sudden and unexpected... wonderful. Very cliche - very true.
And I guess that is what I have learned this year, as it slowly trails off into oblivion. It's not about politics; I don't care what monarchy is ruling the country. I am not paying any mind to the environment; I can probably be a better steward. Life is not about getting famous or rich, because those are such fleeting notions.
It is about interruptions and relationships. Our lives grow richer with them. Not from sitting passively on our enlarging backsides watching over-priced flat screened talking tools, dishing out affactual, opinionated news pitches.
You - make the news.
Our lives are short. I have been to parties. I have seen fireworks. And I have been inebriated.
As my wife puts our daughter to sleep for the evening, I have sat with her and watched this one silly movie every year, allowing us to reflect our lives, and what we can expect to be surprised about next year. We rest.
You should too.
Do us all a favor? Turn off the robot Dick Clark and Ryan Seamist. Put down the remote, walk over to some special and love them. Tell them that they are the first thing you want to see when you wake up and the last thing you want to see when you close your eyes.

God Bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment