Saturday, December 19, 2009

Candigram for Ms. Wisdom

... "Lay hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands and you will live.
Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them.
Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her and she will watch over you.
Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all have, get understanding. Esteem her and she will exalt you; embrace her and she will honor you. She will set a garland of on your head and present you with a crown of splendor." Proverbs 4:4-9

For how long have I been on this, life's journey? At least forty-one years, not including the time I raged in my mother's womb. I have legally been an adult for at the very least twenty of those years. Married twice. Once to the right lady. And we have one child, whom we protect and nurture to a feverish rage against anything that may harm her.
Yet, only up until recently, even with my worldly travels and riches (neither of which I continue to possess), I am still a simple dullard in search of understanding and wisdom.
It would be daft to state that I have learned nothing. Indeed, I have learned a considerable sum of trivia, the sad majority of such remains in the deep recesses of my brain - that solid trap of miraculously underused sponge. Moments flash where amidst my ever-defensive, self indulging utterances, when I, by some divine source, aspire to announce something entirely profane, timely, brilliant, or perform some feat that through past experiences - both good and bad - astounds not only myself, however those bearing witness.
The norm, if you will, is that I fall short miserably, and retire to a place where things are comfortable, and in my misery which is my lack of wisdom and understanding, I search for others who perhaps possess it; and my ignorance proves and tests itself in discovering that those whom I have gone seeking to discover what true brilliance - true wisdom disguises itself as are typically no better and in some cases a great deal worse, to which I am unpleasantly astounded. The intelligencia. The enlightened ones have as many shadows surrounding them as myself.
The current medium for public scrutinization is no different from a Greek forum, but for the sheer number of lollygaggers, fame and thrill seekers, idolaters, adulterers, miscreants, imbeciles, self-indulging and over-indulging boobs of all walks, and sadly I am one of these in the forum, with the only difference - believing that my journey is somehow unique...
...which it is not, but for grace.
I do not envy the violent, but long for the righteous.
I am defending my daughter and my wife against the wicked.
I am no longer in attendance of the multitudes, but instead will choose the select - who are seeking wisdom, understanding and righteousness.
To which, I will pray for that which I seek.
A once self-proclaimed wise man once told me, "You gain knowledge through the righteous works of others. You gain wisdom when you perform them." R.H.Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment