Friday, August 24, 2012

I must be Rucking Crazy

George had come back from that fateful event a new man.  He trained hard for an overnight of torture with a group of men and women willing to let those hardened by military experience beat them up - a taste of what lengths some people will go through physically, mentally and spiritually. 
After listening to his first-hand experiences and the comraderie built in the challenge, I was now interested in "Embrassing the suck."  I joined the GoRuck.
After learning that one would be held in Pittsburgh, I hemmed and hawed, waiting for my wife to say, "Just do it"  And then once I did, I heard her ask if I was nuts.  She was not the only one, but to her defense, she also believed that it would do me a world of good - build experiences, friendships and an edifice of "candoitiveness", which lately I had been lacking.
"Sure, put six bricks in a backpack and go running throughout the city from about 9 in the evening until whenever.  Carry my teammates and do bear crawls for a couple miles.  Great.  Hey, here's an idea, why not train for it vegan-style.  Awesome."
My folks would call me foolish.  I can not disagree.  My cardiologist (yep, I have one!) is not 100% behind the idea.  Nor do I know too many people who would wish to join with George, Darrell and I.  George, you see, is doing it again.  Nuts?  Well, he's a pastor - so some might say so.  He's also tough as nails.  And Darrell - he's Sempre Fi and gristle.
I played music and acted. 
"Nancy boy."  Some say.
Perhaps, but I don't witness too many of my late 30 - early 40-something peers trying the GoRuck to understand the rigors of what our fighting men and women go through.  You see, it all benefits the Green Beret Foundation. 
The funny thing is that I am rucking crazy. 
I trained hard.  Sweat my Gazongas off.  I ran, though I am not a very good one, in five-finger shoes.  My wife likes the way I look - and with GoRuck completed, she will also appreciate the attitude.
Go Ruck yourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment