Friday, January 15, 2010

Twins

She was not such a homely girl that she could not find at least one lover in the city of New York, and I knew her fairly well, so I could verify that I knew of at least one that she had managed to fall in and out of love with, to top it off, I knew that Lisa had become pregnant. Given the means to pry just about any kind of information out of any person, gave me the assurance that I could do the same with Lisa - that is to say pry the name of the donor; however, that information was either forgotten or simply placed safely into the recesses of a faint memory.
Lisa indeed was pregnant, and impovershed like the rest of my Bohemian clan - ragtag actors, singers and musicians. She did not for certain, unless a man was willing to come forth and claim the children, possess any means by which to support a family, let alone herself. And, by the way, I do mean children - twin boys to be precise.
It was August 30th, 2001 when she was to give birth to two bouncing baby boys, and she was not about to rid the world of its entitlement to them, nor could she herself tend to them, so on that day, in the hospital located on the East 40s, she gave birth to Amhal, who came first, and Juan - obviously second. Sadly the boys were immediately adopted, as per her request, and perhaps even worse was the fact that Amhal and Juan were adopted by two different sets of parents.
After September 11th, I lost track of her for a good while, until the winter of 2003 when I happened upon her in a bar in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Lisa had finally gotten an income and an apartment nearby, which was nice - she said.
I asked her if she had any word from Amhal and Juan.
"I was able to contact them both through their parents."
"That's great and..."
"Well, they're only two you know..."
Duh.
"I asked for an occasional update from both sets of parents, and the boys..." She started to cry. "They're so beuatiful..."
I felt a man-tear coming on.
"Both parents were so generous with me, allowing me an opportunity to see them in person. I didn't know what to say. Wow!"
"What did you do?"
"I only had enough, at the time to see Juan, who was the closest, in Daytona. Ah, he is so beautiful. A really happy family."
"And what about the other?"
"Like I said I only had enough to cover for Juan. Besides - once you seen Juan, well you've seen Amhal."

And that was the last time I saw her...

No comments:

Post a Comment